Only the Tories can now save Britain from the Tories.
That may seem a strange thing to say, but even Tories know when things have gone too far.
The Conservatives have dominated the 19th, 20th and, so far, the 21st centuries.
Since the 1830s, the Conservatives have been in the business of winning. They are the world’s most successful political party.
The Tories are Teflon coated. They instinctively know how to cling onto power regardless of scandalous, corrupt, and sleazy behaviour that has blighted so many of their administrations.
And for sure, scandalous, corrupt, and sleazy behaviour is blighting their current reign in office under Boris Johnson.
Tories, however, instinctively know when enough is enough. And right now, the party knows that the country has had enough.
Even the Daily Mail has had enough. The paper, under the editorship of Paul Dacre, was strongly pro-Boris. He could do no wrong.
But Dacre has left the building, and the Mail is changing colours.
The Mail points out in large print:
‘Senior Conservatives are saying the episode raised serious questions about the Prime Minister’s judgment.’
A Tory grandee is quoted in the paper commenting on Johnson’s governing style:
‘It’s a bit like his marital infidelity – it’s in the price. A lack of attention to detail is expected.
‘But I tell you this latest shambles is one of the worst.
‘If and when Boris’s popularity in the country goes – and it might – a few more episodes like this and he will be out.’
Of course, there will be more episodes like this. Boris Johnson is prone to them. Government by chaos, contempt and cronyism are his modus operandi.
But what follows Johnson?
Yes, more Tory rule, at least until the next general election, which is likely to be almost three years away and yes, likely to result in yet more Tory rule.
Even if The Labour Party gets their act together (and right now it hasn’t) it would be difficult (although not impossible) for an opposition to win against a government with an 80-seat majority.
A lot now depends on public reaction. And maybe more pertinently, the reaction of papers such as the Daily Mail.
If – and it is a big if – the public and press reaction more loudly recognises Brexit for the disaster that it is, maybe the Tories of today might start to remember the Tories of yesterday.
What do they have to remember? This:
- It’s because of the Conservatives that the UK applied to join the European Community in the first place.
- It’s because of the Conservatives that the UK eventually joined the European Community.
- It’s because of the Conservatives that support for Britain’s continued membership of the European Community was won by a landslide in the first referendum in 1975.
- It’s because of the Conservatives, under the leadership of Margaret Thatcher, that the Single Market of Europe came into existence.
- It was the Conservative government in the 2016 referendum that officially supported the UK’s continued membership of the European Union.
- Most Conservative MPs voted for Remain in the referendum.
- Since the European Community was founded in 1957, with just two exceptions, the passionate resolve of ALL past Conservative Prime Ministers was that Britain should join the European Community and remain in it.
Yes, the party’s over for the Tories. Now, watch another bout of blue-on-blue battles as the party tries to sort itself out.
- Follow my journalism page on Facebook: Jon Danzig writes
- My campaign page on Facebook: Reasons2Rejoin
- And LinkedIn
- Join the discussion about this article on Facebook: